Friday, January 17, 2020

Intentions Versus Goals

Listen to "Intentions Versus Goals" on Spreaker. Maybe it's something planted in us a kids. What are your goals? Stick to your goals. Are you focused on your goals? Then when your goals aren't met you become hurt, bent out of shape and quite possibly ready to quit. I grew up being that punk kid that wouldn't leave his bedroom because his goals were to be a major market radio personality in Los Angeles. Everything I did in life was to prepare myself for that goal. I built a radio station in my bedroom that could broadcast a half block from the house. The goal was to give my mother something to listen to while she painstakingly tried to keep the house clean and have dinner ready by five for my father. My goals were to take every class in high school that would enhance my skills as a teen to be ready to hit the radio trail the very second I graduated. Every teacher knew where I wanted to be and they worked with me to help out the goal. I worked so hard that radio let me inside its playing field at the age of fourteen. My father made me quit. He wasn't driving eighteen miles to Laurel, Montana so I could feed my goals. Two years later radio gave me another opportunity. This time it was six blocks from my house. My goals to make it to Los Angeles were on their way! This year I will celebrate my forty first year in broadcasting. I never made it to LA. Lord knows I tried so many times. But each time I missed it put a dent my goals. At fifty seven I wish I would've known the difference between having goals and living a life of intentions. Goals say this is where you need to be by this time. When they aren't met the heart is injured and the dream begins to fade. Intentions are a direction. My intentions are to be in Los Angeles. But if it doesn't happen that doesn't mean I failed. I know the direction in 2020 doesn't have to mean packing up the car and leaving a town I've been blessed to be a part of for thirty five years. Then intentions to reach LA can be accomplished by way of podcasting, internet radio and other forms of digital airplay. Understanding the difference between making goals and walking with intentions takes a huge guilty trip off your back. Unlocking what blocks you starts with knowing that you're moving in a safer direction. Ask yourself, "What are my intentions today?" Every morning at 4:30 while walking my dog Jazzie I look up at the stars and layout my intentions. My heart and soul listen in giving direction whereas if it were a goal I'd be inured daily. My mom would say, "Now son you don't get everything you want in life. Just settle for what you've got." No... My intentions today are ______..

No comments:

Post a Comment