Monday, February 17, 2020

Interpreting Before Judgement

Listen to "Interpreting Before Judgement" on Spreaker. I think what makes me a great interviewer is how much little time I spend interpreting the author, chef, musician and actor. I invite the guests to share their journey. To speak openly without having to defend what I might see as the process. I do all I can to keep my path away from judgement. Too often we spend several minutes to hours reading social media posts from one person only to interpret what we think they're moving through. Within seconds the interpretation becomes a judgement. Rarely do we know the story. I have to hear the persons voice. I don't want a text message or email. I'm 99.9% wrong every time because I find no reason to believe in what's been interpreted. This is why I find enormous joy in listening to a long list of preachers. King James isn't the only person to have gone back and interpreted the book. Many of today's spiritual leaders are taking these ancient stories and putting their own twists on it. On any given Sunday the same Bible verses could be talked about and inside each house a different message is shared. I love that stuff! It's two completely different views. As a daily writer I endlessly run into people that interpret the sentences and paragraphs. Then the author is hit by their opinion or observation. Which is really weird because I didn't ask for it. Because of social media we have become the generation that doesn't want to sit down face to face and talk. We find it easier to interpret the story and or experience. As leaders the daily goal should be to reach into the spirit of the vocal delivery and not the silences caused by words left on a page with no beginning middle or end to defend its place. If you read something and it creates question teach yourself to put it in your ears and not your eyes. I love questioning preachers. It removes the interpretation from the structure of growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment