Thursday, January 24, 2019

Documenting Emotion

Listen to "Documenting Emotion" on Spreaker. Paging through my daily writing I came across a moment in July of 2016 where five police officers were murdered in Texas. The emotional impact on January 24, 2019 is still felt. Not because it's been on my mind but because the discipline of being that daily writer requires me to be reminded of such horrific times in American history. They always say that history repeats itself after people stop remembering the moments that stole our innocence. On this podcast we go back to the day after the shootings. The reactions I had after a Texas minister spoke on national television "We have to stop shooting at each other." Sure it's emotional. The heart has been reminded of what's happened and continues to move forward. We've grown to accept the crimes. So much so that we're no longer aware of the invisible fear that haunts our hearts each time we walk into a bank, restaurant, church or movie theater. Being a second degree black belt my eye is always on the door and all things moving. Someone recently said to me, "Its not if but when." How do you prepare your place of history during these locked chambers of tragedy? The day we stop talking is when it always happens again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment