Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Not A Fan Of Windows

Listen to "Not A Fan Of Windows" on Spreaker. The title of this blog says it all. I'm not a fan of those magical sheets of whatever is required to see through it. It might because windows were the true beast in the movie Amityville Horror. It might because my grandmother endlessly reminded us about how the eyes are the window to the soul. Isn't that how business works? Decision makers study the eyes then come up with conclusions that truly have nothing to do with you yet the path has been laid. I once had a program director tell me, "You don't have the eyes to do an afternoon drive radio show." I didn't question it. It takes a very special shape of knowledge, experience and self awareness to pull of a show set in the center of people at work or lost somewhere in traffic. Your eyes have to be able to envision who it is your sharing conversation with. His message taught me to be open to the idea of locating better ways to communicate. In this podcast I talk about how a whisper can be heard around the world. The windows that you provide for others to look inside have to be clear enough in all walks of life. But if you're like me and can't see anything out windows at midnight the next move would either be to pull the curtains closed or turn on a light. We can learn a lot from windows without ripping a part the ambitions of a hard working person by determining what we think we know by looking into their eyes. My parents constantly demanded that I look at them. While lecturing in schools and on university campuses I make it a point to look directly into every set of eyes present. Yes I can instantly tell when someone is lost or they're about to pass out from boredom. Instead of assuming their condition and choice. I stop at the window. I ask about its design. I learn more about the foundation keeping the windows in place. I study the soil for strength. I look toward the horizon to see if the windows catch the sunrise or sunset. I don't wash the windows nor shut the windows. I listen to them. Then I'm invited inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment