Thursday, December 6, 2018

Just Show Up

Listen to "Just Show Up" on Spreaker. This past Sunday my wife and I were studying the good word via the church's presentation on YouTube. I'm an extremely dedicated note taker. My body hunched over the computer screen to make sure I hear every thought delivered then processed. I'm sure it looks like one of those old time radio listeners that gathered the family around the sound maker and listened to Amos And Andy and other adventures that drew pictures on the inside of the imagination. When the storytelling is over I put away my notes and go about the day. My wife thought I was doing it prematurely, "Hey the Pastor isn't done yet!" I had to point out that the man on the screen was no longer the leader of the church. It was someone under him bringing on the alter call. Her reaction, "Why does everyone in that church have to look like the Pastor?" This isn't just a situation for my church. The mold for the church goer in 2018 is to do all you can to wear the tightest pants, strangest shirt, coolist haircut and do all you can to grow hair on your face. I grew up in an atmosphere of being in church. During those younger years none of us did anything to look like the other. Our identity as an individual was the best place to grow. I grasp the idea of feeling like we belong and we're accepted. I have to ask by whom? God or the church? On this podcast I put my ugly mug on the crusty old microphone and share normal and below normal thoughts that say nothing more than, "Be yourself. Baggy pants and worn out shoes are ok. More importantly having an empty gas tank makes you one of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment